Website The Healing of The Seven Generations
FNMI Court Worker
FMNI Court Support Worker
The Healing of The Seven Generations (H7G) strengthens the capacity of the FMNI community and its citizens to deal with justice issues and provide FMNI controlled and culturally based justice alternatives.
You must have an Understanding of the specific issues related to the Legacy of Residential schools, 60’s Scoop and the Millennium Scoop, Child Welfare issues, and have the ability to explore appropriate resources to address these issues.
Experience with the Restorative Justice program, Criminal Court System, Young offenders, Family Court System
Also, an asset: 3+ years continuous sobriety and abstinence from mind-altering influences: a valid driver’s licence and a vehicle with current insurance.
You will be working in a high stress environment and must be able to work some hours outside of the 9-5, and on the weekends.
This position requires: someone with strong interpersonal skills, the ability to work independently, identify and solve problems and follow through on initiatives.
· Offering support and helping individuals navigate the justice system by providing information to Native accused and family members about criminal processes (NOT giving legal advice)
· Referring Aboriginal people to appropriate legal resources such as, Defense Counsel Listings, Legal Aid, and clinics
· Creating release plans with clients, in which referrals are made to the appropriate social, education, employment, health, aboriginal community and other resources based on their needs. Advocating for appropriate services to the aboriginal person and following up on referrals.
· Providing information of a general nature, or referrals, to other aboriginal persons involved in the justice system, e.g. referring victims or members of the person’s family to counselling services.
· The Aboriginal Court Workers have access to Crown Briefs and victim information, this assists with canvasing diversions for the accused with justice personnel. Once diversions are approved by the crown’s office, Aboriginal Court Workers explain to the client what the diversion process entails. (Attend circle/hearing with the community council program volunteers/staff offered through H7G).
· Networking and Liaison between client and justice officials i.e. lawyers, police, the judiciary, probation/parole officers to become familiar with the local Aboriginal community justice programs and services, Gladue Report Process
· Must have the ability to prioritize and have excellent time management abilities, must exceptional record keeping capabilities
Salary Range: TBN Preference will be first given to qualified FNMI candidates.
All applicants must submit the following by October 28, 2020 at 1:00pm:
1. Cover letter, stating the name of your Band, or Band affiliation letter
2. Recent resume – resume must clearly show that you meet the qualification requirements of this position, as stipulated above.
3. List 3 references (2 recent work related, 1 personal)
4. Email or hard copies accepted: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or hard copies attn to: Donna Dubie – Executive Director
The Healing of The Seven Generations 300 Frederick St.
Kitchener, ON N2H2N5